An open-access resource to guide and inspire new strategies for agricultural development that limit and mitigate greenhouse gas emissions to transform food systems.
What is AgLEDx?
The AgLEDx Platform is a…
- Resource for everything in low-emissions agriculture development from basic explainers to technical references.
- Synthesis of the current knowledge of climate change mitigation in agriculture.
- Signpost to national planning that integrates mitigation in agriculture, finance, and climate policy.
- A guide to boost the capacity of students and policymakers in developing nations.
AgLEDx is intended to be a guide to climate change mitigation in agriculture and food systems for those new and old in the field of low-emissions development (LED).
The focus is on agricultural emissions and their mitigation, but we provide examples and resources of emissions and mitigation options related to activities connected with agriculture. One of the biggest opportunities and challenges is in developing countries, where food security has yet to be met while also seeking to reduce emissions. Therefore, this site emphasizes developing country data and examples.
Targeted users of this site range from those completely unfamiliar with climate change mitigation in agriculture to those seeking to expand their knowledge in a particular subsector. We provide a curated glossary and FAQ, as well as frequently used technical information as basic references throughout the LED Options, Estimating Emissions and Policy & Planning sections. References are provided in in-text hyperlinks and on the Resource page.
After over a decade of research and forging new partnerships for low-emissions development in agriculture, the CCAFS LED Flagship figured it was worth synthesizing their understanding and knowledge. The synthesis culminated in the AgLEDx Resource Platform.
Emissions and technical options will change over time and some of the data included in this website will be time-specific, so some data may need updating. If you find out-of-date data, please let us know by using our contact us form.
Recognition of contributions and funding
Please reference this website using the below citation:
Shelton S, Richards M, Costa Jr. C, Dittmer K, Khatri-Chhetri A, Rose S, Rowland B, White J, Egler C, Wollenberg E. 2021. AgLEDx Resource Platform. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). https://agledx.ccafs.cgiar.org.
The website is protected under a Creative commons attribution-noncommercial 4.0 international license
The content on this website was compiled by the Low-Emissions Development Flagship of the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). Additional affiliations below. The team included:
- Eva Wollenberg, Climate and Food Specialist, Alliance of Bioversity & CIAT, Gund Institute for Environment at the University of Vermont, Clim-EAT (Formerly the Low-Emissions Flagship Leader, CCAFS)
- Ciniro Costa Jr., Science Officer, The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT
- Arun Khatri-Chhetri, Science Officer, The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT (now at Save the Children)
- Kyle Dittmer, Research Analyst, The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT
- Sabrina Rose, former Policy Consultant, The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT, CCAFS
- Sadie Shelton, Communications Officer and AgLEDx Project Coordinator, The University of Vermont, Alliance of Bioversity & CIAT, CCAFS
- Bailey Rowland, Program Manager, The University of Vermont, CCAFS
- Cecelia Egler, former Program Assistant, The University of Vermont
- Meryl Richards, Director of Food and Forests, Ceres
- Julianna White, Research Program Coordinator, Lake Champlain Sea Grant, Vermont Water Resources and Lake Studies Center, and the Northeastern States Research Cooperative, The University of Vermont
The following individuals provided feedback on the technical content pages:
- Katherine Nelson, International Rice Research Institute
- Bjoern Ole Sanders, International Rice Research Institute
- Le Hoang Anh, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), Viet Nam
- Wei Wang, China Agricultural University
- Pete Smith, University of Aberdeen
- Gillian Galford, University of Vermont
- Rhys Bucknall-Williams, AICCRA (formerly at CCAFS)
A special thanks to Clutch Creative for reliable advice and for working with us every step of the way on this and past projects.
All images and credits used on the AgLED Platform for Agriculture can be found here. Photo credits include N. Palmer (CIAT/CCAFS), P. Vishwanathan (CCAFS), L. Sebastian (CCAFS), G. Smith (CIAT), C. Schubert (CCAFS), F. Fiondella (IRI/CCAFS), J. Turner (IRI/CCAFS), C. Schubert (CCAFS), and S. Kilungu (CCAFS).
Funding for this platform was provided by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT and the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). This platform is supported and implemented by CCAFS, which is carried out with support from the CGIAR Trust Fund and through bilateral funding agreements. For details please visit ccafs.cgiar.org/donors. The views expressed here cannot be taken to reflect the official opinions of these organizations.